The Affordable Care Act (ACA) has made it easier to get affordable health insurance coverage. This is especially true for those who may not have been able to afford or qualify for health insurance in the past. And now, shopping for health insurance has never been simpler. You can get coverage several ways, including through:
- Your employer
- An insurance agent
- An insurance company
- The Health Insurance Marketplace
- Government programs like Medicare or Medicaid (qualified participants only)
Learn More About Health Care Costs
For those who can't afford health insurance there are a few options to get help paying for health care costs, including:
- A premium tax credit decreases your monthly premium. See what your premium could be with our tax credit estimator.
- Cost sharing assistance lowers the amount you pay for various health care costs, including your deductible, coinsurance and copays.
Shop for health insurance and find out how to choose a health care plan that's right for you.
Need more information? Meet one-on-one with our experienced community specialists who can help answer your health insurance questions. Find a free event near you.
Tips for More Affordable Health Insurance
Help decrease your health care costs and save money using the following easy tips:
- Choose a health insurance plan that works for you. All Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas health plans follow the Affordable Care Act guidelines. They have the same essential health benefits, quality, and amount of care. Where health plans differ are in how the benefits are applied and how much they cost. For example, some plans might have lower premiums and higher deductibles; others have higher premiums and lower deductibles. Learn more.
- Understand your plan benefits. Because all plans are different, it's important to know your plan and what is covered before you go for care. Understanding what’s included in your specific plan will help you avoid paying more for out-of-network services. Learn more.
- Stay in network. Provider networks are groups of doctors, hospitals and other health care professionals that have agreed to work with your health plan. When you go to a provider who is not in your plan network, you'll have to pay a larger portion of the bill – or the entire bill. To find a provider in your network, register or log in to Blue Access for MembersSM, our secure member website, for a personalized search experience based on your health plan and network.
- Save on your prescription coverage. Look closely at your plan to see whether you get discounts for using a certain pharmacy or mail-order pharmacy services. Also, anytime you are able (and it's available), use a generic version of your medication — most of the time this can help save you money. Learn more.
- Take advantage of your member perks. Some health care plans offer member discounts on gym memberships and vision services. In addition, some plans offer special incentive programs to help you quit smoking, lose weight or exercise more.
- Keep your health in check. Improving your health not only feels good, it can save you money. The healthier you are, the less you have to visit the doctor. Do your best to eat right, exercise and get regular health screenings. Encourage all family members to live a healthy lifestyle to live a healthy lifestyle, too.
We’re Here to Help You!
Send us a question or request more information. Our team is here to help you get a 2021 health care plan for yourself or your family.