After you enroll in the BCBSTX STAR Kids plan, BCBSTX will send your child's new member materials in the mail. You should expect the following:
After your child is enrolled, we will give you a BCBSTX ID card. Keep this ID card with you at all times.
When you go to your doctor, hospital or other provider, show your BCBSTX ID card. It has the following information:
- Your child's name
- Your child's member ID number
- Your child's Medicaid number
- The date your child's coverage starts
- The name of the PCP you have selected, a default PCP if you have not selected a PCP, or one of the categories: Dual Eligible or Commercial PCP
Call customer service at 1-877-688-1811 (TTY 711) to replace your ID card if it is lost. You can also log in to your Blue Access for MembersSM account to print a temporary ID card.
After you get your child's ID card, you'll get your welcome kit. It includes the Member Handbook. You'll also get brochures on our transportation services and our value-added services. These handbooks tell you everything you'll need to know about the BCBSTX STAR Kids program.
If you do not receive a welcome kit, please call customer service at 1-877-688-1811 (TTY 711). We'll send out a replacement. We can also provide your kit in another language other than English or another format, such as Braille, CD or large print. We will send you this information in your preferred format for free.
Members Programs and Resources
We want you to have access to resources that can help your child to meet health goals. That's why we offer the following programs.
- Member Advisory Group — Each quarter, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) holds a Member Advisory Group (MAG) Meeting so that we can find out how we can serve you better. If you would like to come and share your ideas with BCBSTX staff and community partners on what you like about your plan benefits or where we can do better, please contact the STAR Kids member advocate in your area for details. For the Travis Service Area call toll-free at 1-877-375-9097, or in the Central Service Area call 1-855-497-0857 (TTY 711). Find a MAG meeting.
- 24/7 Nurse Hotline — If you have questions, our nurses have answers. This help line is staffed 24 hours a day with registered nurses who can help you get answers to your health questions. If an unexpected medical situation arises, a nurse can help you decide if you should call your doctor, visit the ER or urgent care, or treat the problem yourself. You can call 1-855-802-4614 (TTY 711) to access the Nurse Hotline.
- Aunt Bertha — This website helps you find the resources you need for food, housing, legal issues, financial issues and more. Find programs, connect to services and apply for assistance.
If you have questions, please call customer service toll-free at 1-877-688-1811 (TTY 711).
The National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) evaluates health plans and the care that they provide to their members. NCQA identifies health care organizations that are run in ways that make care better.